Esports Awards: An Overview

Esports Awards
Kevin Larsen
Kevin Larsen, Chief Editor

The Esports Awards are like the Oscars of the professional Esports gaming industry. Every year, dozens of players are nominated for the awards in various categories. So, if you want to learn all about the Esports Awards and how they work, continue reading!

Skip to Section

Esports Awards Criteria

The Esports Awards criteria vary from one award group to the other. As of 2021, there are 6 award groups, which include:

  • Community Awards
  • Industry Awards
  • Pro Awards
  • Collegiate Awards
  • On-Air Talent Awards
  • Creative Awards
  • Collegiate Awards


Tip:
You can check the criteria for each awards group on the Esports Awards official website.

The Panel

Each year, a new panel is selected by the Esports Awards team. And any expert in the industry can apply to be a part of the panel, which usually consists of more than 20 members. For 2021, here are some of the names included in the panel:

  • Adam Thornton
  • Alaric Choo
  • Alan Brice
  • Alex “GoldenBoy” Mendez
  • Ana Xisdê
  • Arten “Ballatw” Esa
  • Britanni Johnson
  • Bryce Blum
  • Christina Alejandre
  • Christopher Mykles
  • Cody Connors
  • Curt Carter
  • Dan “Frodan” Chou
  • Crisis Wi
  • Eefje “Sjokz” Depoortere
  • George Hughes
  • Eunice Chen

The Process

The Esports Awards nomination and voting process consist of 7 stages, which are:

Public Nominations

All the nominations are saved and sent to the panel for review. Nominations require the following info to be considered:

  • Category of nomination
  • Supporting material
  • Details of achievement
  • The nominees’ information

Shortlisting

In this stage, the panel members hold a group discussion call to shortlist the nominees. Any panel member is allowed to request any omitted nominee to be reconsidered. Then, each panel member would come up with their own shortlist and filter them based on the awards’ criteria. Finally, the finalists are announced.

Finalists Announced

After the finalists are announced, they can submit additional achievements or supporting material to improve their chances of winning the awards.

Public Vote

This stage is the time for the community to vote. Most of the awards are open to the public for voting. To illustrate, community vote makes up about 25% of the vote, while the panel accounts for the remaining 75%.

However, the public vote accounts for 100% of the vote weight. In the case of our awards categories in the community group, the community accounts for 100% of the overall vote.

Judging Panel

After the public vote ends, the panelists choose the first place finalists independently. Each vote counts as one point for each finalist. And the finalists who get the most votes in each category win. On a side note, the votes are confidential and only unveiled on the awards night.

Public Voting Closes

Community voting closes 14 days before the awards ceremony in November of every year. And a neutral committee counts the votes.

Vote Adjudication

Since public votes make up 25% of the vote weighting, vote adjudication is necessary. So, each finalist gets points based on the number of public votes after adjudication. Then, the votes are added to the panelists’ votes, except for the Community group awards, as the public vote makes up 100% of the weight.

Frequently Asked Questions

Can Anyone Attend the Esports Awards?

Yes, anyone can buy a ticket and attend the Esports Awards live. However, keep in mind that the number of tickets is limited, so book one early to guarantee yourself a seat in the big event.

Do Panel Members of the Esports Awards See the Public Vote?

Yes, panelists check the public vote on the night of the Awards, especially if there’s a tie.

What Happens When Two Finalists Get the Same Number of Votes in the Esports Awards?

If two finalists share the same number of votes, the panel refers back to the community vote to make up the final decision. And in the rare scenario where the finalists of the community group awards also get the same number of votes, the panel picks a winner.

What Happens When Two Finalists Get the Same Number of Votes in the Esports Awards?

If two finalists share the same number of votes, the panel refers back to the community vote to make up the final decision. And in the rare scenario where the finalists of the community group awards also get the same number of votes, the panel picks a winner.

Final Words

All in all, that was a quick overview of the Esports Awards and the whole process. This is an event that all gamers and anyone interested in gaming waits for each year. Do you think you have what it takes to be nominated for the award? Prepare your documents, and show us what you’ve got!